Thursday, July 2, 2009

2009 Part One: Lessons Learned

It’s hard to believe that half of the year is over – not exactly a stellar year for most of us!

I have learned quite a few things as a business owner (hard lessons learned) these past 6+ months:

•I should always look to cut expenses, even when times are good.

•I should reward creativity and innovation.

•I should look to do more with less.

•I should expect and appreciate the willingness of my staff to be flexible.

•I should recognize how my moods impact our employees, and those around me.

•It’s not what we make, it’s what we keep that counts.

I’ve also learned a few things on a personal level:

•“Shopping” in my closet isn’t that bad.

•Cooking can replace take-out.

•Time with friends doesn’t have to be expensive.

•Staying in shape mentally and physically is my choice, and under my control.

•I need to appreciate and be grateful for all of what I can give to others.

Let’s hope that the economy picks up during the last half of 2009!

Even when this happens (notice I said “when” and not “if”), however, I don’t want to lose site of these lessons learned.

As always, feel free to share your lessons learned/best practices.

No comments: