Monday, June 15, 2009

The Power of Video: Seeing Yourself on Tape Can Lead to Self-Improvement

I have often been asked:

•How do you deal with big egos in a presentation skills program?

•How do ensure that the people you coach connect the dots?

•How do you measure improvement when training/coaching on presentation skills?

My answer to all three questions is videotape!

Really, the only way to get a real assessment of how others see you as a presenter is to look at yourself. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it is necessary.

I’m not saying that I like to see myself on video, but, again, it is necessary.

What I have learned by being videotaped:

•I don’t smile as much as I think I do.
•I favor one side of the room.
•I make funny faces.
•My posture needs to be improved.
•And, the list goes on …

I know that sports professionals get videotaped, professional actors are taped, so why shouldn’t everyone who presents (to large and small groups) get taped as well?

It’s a great way to identify strengths and to determine what needs to be improved.

At BRODY, our presentation skills training and coaching almost always involves taping.

At my recent BRODY BOOST Camp, I hired a videographer (Rob Kates, www.professionalspeakervideo.com) to update my speaking demo and add some new footage.

What my recent videotaping experience really did for me was give me a list of the areas that I still need to work on!

That’s right, even we Hall of Fame speakers need to be open for self-improvement.

I truly believe in my own mantra that: “If you’re not green and growing, you’re ripe and rotting.”

What do you need to improve?

Remember – the best keep looking for ways to get better.

So, smile for that video camera!

No comments: