Monday, October 13, 2008

Pre-Debate Coaching/Advice for Presidential Candidates

The official count down to the election next month has begun.

I don’t know about you, but I’m getting tired of the political rhetoric.

I would love one (both would be better!) of the candidates to simply call a halt to the negativity.

People want straight talk. People want solutions. People want honesty.

I wouldn’t miss the next debate this Wednesday, even though it’s my 20th wedding anniversary!

That said, I will forgo the usual “dining out experience” so I can be home watching the TV. Fortunately, my husband concurs.

Aside from the politics, it’s fascinating for me as a speaker and presentation skills coach to watch the candidates do what we at BRODY Professional Development say not to do, and also what to do.

A free bit of coaching advice to both presidential candidates:

1) be respectful of each other
2) look at the audience and the camera
3) don’t over talk, or cut each other off
4) don’t make condescending comments
5) avoid repetitive words or phrases (examples from last time: “my friend” and “look”).

Oh yes, and one more thing – with the advent of fact checking, let’s be honest with the information shared, please.

The truth will come out at some point, so why not now?

No comments: