Wednesday, March 4, 2009

“Without Promotion, Something Terrible Happens: Nothing” – PT Barnum

For years, I have worked with many clients in the pharmaceutical industry, and thought that the companies – and the industry as a whole – needed to communicate more effectively in promoting the great work they do.

Do they make a profit? Let’s hope so!

After all, that helps to develop new drugs, which can cure diseases, and help with chronic illness, etc.

In my family alone, we benefit from their drug development in the areas of high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, allergies, a host of infections, the flu, and, of course, the common cold.

I personally am grateful for drug development.

Do they make a profit? Yes.

I know I already said that, but it’s worth repeating – because making a profit helps the economy.

They pay taxes, and they have people who buy goods and services, and, therefore, pay taxes in turn. I believe this is a way to stimulate the economy.

America is a capitalist country – there is nothing wrong with making a profit.

The goal is to do good, and do well.

20 years ago, I used to say to my pharmaceutical clients that they needed to promote their industry differently -- in terms of the good that they do in the world, the lives that are saved and have been changed as a result of their efforts and products.

Somehow, the message has been lost on the public.

Why am I on a rant about this today?

I spent this past weekend in Texas, with eight other BRODY facilitators, presenting/facilitating at a Physician Speaker Training program.

I was impressed with the client’s commitment to drug development, clinical education, and patient care.

I understand and support rules, regulations, and compliance regarding promotion in the pharmaceutical industry. But, let’s not get so restrictive that education stops, and we, the public (and patients), suffer.

What’s the bottom line here?

Don’t assume that anyone knows the good that you do. It’s up to you to make sure that your message is widespread.

No comments: