Friday, January 30, 2009

Do You Need One?

What are you doing to keep up your morale?

Doom and gloom is definitely in the air – with news of further corporate layoffs every day, and no end yet in sight to our nation’s economic woes, it’s easy to become despondent.

In my presentation “Step Up!” -- which I delivered as a webinar January 28th, and will be doing again in the future -- I talk about attitude.

Attitude is a choice. We can’t control everything that happens to us, but we can control how we respond.

We can be positive or negative – there really isn’t a neutral attitude.

I am not a “Pollyanna.”

And, although I prefer to think of myself as a positive person, clearly I have been known to take a few downward spirals over the years … experiencing the highs and lows that life and business ownership can dish out on a daily basis.

Here are my personal techniques to stay upbeat and positive:

1. Take 100% responsibility for how you respond to situations – no victim mentality

2. Set a good example

3. Hang around with winners, not whiners

4. Believe in yourself

5. Focus on the positives in your life


I also believe that regular exercise, laughter, an occasional “treat” (chocolate, a massage, seeing a good movie – OK, maybe MORE than an occasional treat!) all help.

Journaling -- particularly about what I am grateful for -- and focusing on the good, are other ways that help ensure I keep a positive attitude.

I would love to know your ideas, too.

No comments: