Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Business Card: Another Aspect of Effective Networking

Networking can occur anywhere, and it’s important that you are ready to capitalize on any such chances.

So, always carry an ample supply of your business cards with you wherever you go.

One never knows who they might run into that could be a good business contact -- whether you are in a grocery store, movie theater, plane, elevator, restaurant, conference, or the gym!

This has paid off for me, in the strangest places. One day this preparedness paid off – when I was on a skiing vacation, I gave my companion on the lift my card. It turns out she was in a position to book my services … and did!

Even if your company doesn’t print cards for you, spend some money and have a calling card – name and personal contact information – printed.

If you do make contact with someone you want to speak to again, ask for a card, then give the person yours. This way, you can make the next move.

I also like to jot down a note or two on the back of the card – where we met, what we talked about, and I want to do when I return to the office (send articles, follow up with a phone call, etc.).

If the other person doesn’t have a card, take yours and write his or her contact details on the back, crossing off your front information so you don’t accidentally give that card to someone else!

Enter all business card information in your computer database, Rolodex, or PDA as soon as you return, and, most importantly, do what you promise!

No comments: